Thursday, July 22, 2010

Drain and Aspir minimum and maximum

Figuring out things that were already figured out years ago

After reviewing all my posts on Drain and Aspir, I finally realized that I had enough information to specify the minimum and maximum unresisted values, as a function of dark magic skill, for both Drain and Aspir, and since the distribution of unresisted values can be considered approximately uniformly distributed (acknowledging flooring effects), the mean Drain and Aspir can also be specified with reasonable certainty.

Of course, this was something that was figured out years ago. This Drain and Aspir summary page (JP) has some interesting things to say about Vampiric Mitts/Boots, Diabolos's Pole, Y's Scythe, and factors other than equipment, day/weather, and magic burst affecting Drain that do not affect Aspir, but I will leave it to those interested to check out that source while I summarize the the minima and maxima for Drain, Aspir, and Drain II, and speculate on those for Aspir II.

All specified extrema are defined for dark magic skill between 0 and 300, and for clarity's sake, factors that increase Drain or Aspir potency are not included in the statements aside from dark magic skill. It should be understood that any of those other factors increase the maximum and minimum by some multiplicative constant, and these constants can be multiplied in succession (generally, the order of multiplication is first the constant for equipment, then that for day/weather, then that for magic burst, with some twists on Drain potency you can look up yourself) with flooring after each multiplication step to obtain the final values of the maximum and minimum.

Maximum and minimum of Drain

The maximum unresisted Drain is

skill + 20,

and the minimum unresisted Drain is

floor(0.5(skill + 20)).

It follows that the mean unresisted Drain is approximately

0.75(skill + 20).

Currently 320 HP is the highest possible Drain return before any other potency-increasing factors are considered.

Each 1-point increase in dark magic skill (up to 300 total skill) increases the maximum Drain by 1 HP. Other potency-enhancing factors can increase the magnitude of this marginal return.

Maximum and minimum of Aspir

The maximum unresisted Aspir is

floor(skill/3 + 20),

and the minimum unresisted Aspir is

floor(0.5floor(skill/3 + 20)).

It follows that the mean unresisted Aspir is approximately

0.75(skill/3 + 20).

Currently 120 MP is the highest possible Aspir return before any other potency-increasing factors are considered.

Each 3-point increase in dark magic skill (up to 300 total skill) increases the maximum Aspir by 1 MP. Other potency-enhancing factors can increase the magnitude of this marginal return.

Maximum and minimum of Drain II

This discussion of the Hirudinea Earring effect (Hirudinea Earring seems to increase the potency of Drain or Aspir by either 2.5% or 3%) also has Drain II data that is consistent with the following expressions for the minimum and maximum of Drain II.

One thing to note is that Drain II has less variability than Drain I. (A dot plot would help show this.) Another thing to note is that the observed minima seem as though they are based on the expression for the maximum of Drain I. Then the minimum unresisted Drain II is

skill + 20.

The maximum unresisted Drain II is

skill + 85.

The mean unresisted Drain II is

skill + 52.5.

Each 1-point increase in dark magic skill (up to 300 total skill) increases both the minimum and maximum Drain II by 1 HP. Other potency-enhancing factors can increase the magnitude of this marginal return.

Currently 385 HP is the highest possible Drain II return before any other potency-increasing factors are considered.

Note that unlike Drain and Aspir, the variability of Drain II values appears not to vary with dark magic skill. Instead, varying skill merely shifts the distribution of unresisted values to the left or the right.

Minimum and maximum of Aspir II?

While I have yet to see anything regarding Aspir II, I wouldn't be surprised to see the minimum be

floor(skill/3 + 20)

and the maximum be

floor(skill/3 + 85),

but this is subject to verification based on others' experience.

Summary

The following table (image) summarizes the maximum, minimum and (approximate) mean unresisted value of Drain, Aspir, and Aspir II as a function of dark magic skill ("capping" at 300 skill) when no other potency-increasing factors are present.

Table of extrema and means for Drain, Aspir, and Drain II

Other potency-increasing factors increase the minimum and maximum by their corresponding multiplicative constant (e.g. that for equipment), with flooring after each multiplication step.

2 comments:

  1. Just something that seemed odd: your earlier test showed dark weather having a 10% increase to potency. Was this with or without anrin obi? You don't mention it but your data seems to suggest that the 10% bonus is always applied (like helices, and not like nukes). The other question is, do you think the ring is considered as part of the same day/weather multiplier, or separate like staves? ie would day/doubleweather/ring/obi still give a 1.35 multiplier like AF2 pants does for nukes? I'll go thru the JP site to see if I can get a better idea of the testing already done. glad to see you're still doing this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't state it, but I needed the Obi to guarantee the weather effect. Sorry for not mentioning it.

    I think Excelsis Ring would fall under the alleged "equipment bonus" (including elemental staves) since its effect seems to be independent of day/weather. Note that unlike the Zodiac Ring, with an explicit day condition, there is no such condition given for Excelsis.

    Of course the effect of Diabolos's Pole is weather-dependent, but its effect seems to be independent of the day/weather bonus based on the observed maximum Aspir of 194 with the Pole effect, day, and double weather in effect. (I saw a SS on BG and I would have to dig it up.)

    Finally, The JP site doesn't seem to refer to any data actually, just a summary of the formulas for the maximum Drain, Aspir, and Drain II. But the given formulas are consistent with what I've observed and other data others collected, so this is me going out on a limb and standing my by conclusions.

    There are probably other data sets but there I have yet to find them (like this: http://blog.livedoor.jp/tarblm/archives/51082605.html, which is part of the evidence I used to to reach my conclusions)

    ReplyDelete