Specifically, I wanted to see if the model holds at 114 dark magic skill, which can be attained by subbing /DRK on any job without any native dark magic skill (in my case NIN/DRK). Based on the model I described previously, the maximum Aspir without any potency-increasing equipment used is 114/3 + 20 = 58 MP, and the minimum is half that, or 29 MP.
I went out to cast Aspir on Stone Eaters (North Gustaberg (S)) and after the seventh cast I obtained an Aspir of 63 MP, which exceeds the stipulated maximum, so the model doesn't hold for 114 dark magic skill. The following are the observed data values (in order observed):
51 44 56 49 25 51 63 53 35 62 62 46 41 32 44
I then cast Drain on the same Stone Eaters with 246 dark magic skill (NIN75/SCH35 with Dark Arts) and obtained the following results (stem-and-leaf plot):
6 | 49
7 |
8 | 4
9 |
10 |
11 |
12 |
13 | 4445
14 | 68
15 | 044
16 | 46
17 | 37
18 | 9
19 | 4
20 | 23789
21 | 79
22 | 026
23 | 55
24 | 277
25 | 36
26 | 01346
(The reason I used Drain and not Aspir was that my scholar is only level 35, and Aspir is accessible at level 36. I would prefer to gather data for Aspir because Aspir values are obviously less variable than Drain values.)
Given 246 dark magic skill, the predicted maximum for Drain is 266 and the predicted unresisted minimum is 133 (both without any potency gear or day/weather effects), so the distribution of Drain (as represented by the sample) seems consistent with the model.
In conclusion, if one were to be technical in describing the scope of the model I proposed earlier, I would say the model is (likely) valid for Drain between 246 and 300 dark magic skill. It is valid for Aspir between 269 and 300 dark magic skill. And, finally, it is valid for Drain II between 285 and 300 dark magic skill. What happens in the 100s is just not that relevant. (In case you are wondering what data I am referring to, you'd have to check my old posts on Drain and Aspir).
No comments:
Post a Comment