Given that the current incarnation of the physical damage equation is still a reasonable approximation (a generous assumption), I calculated these averages based on the attributes of my character's WS setup. (And to make more approximations upon approximations, I assumed the pDIF distribution for my cRatio, 1.433, was uniform over [1, 1.719].) Interestingly, FFXIclopedia gives a fTP "bonus" of 0.5 for the first hit of Raging Rush, which contradicts other sources (Gobli among them) and seems incorrect. I used 1.0 because if it were 0.5, Raging Rush would obviously be inferior. (I suppose I should get into some merit party for the first time in months to see if my calculations are way off.)
I plotted average WS damage of R.R. and K.J. versus critical hit rate since I don't know how exactly the TP modifiers affect crit rate for Raging Rush and neither does anyone else:

Suppose that at 100 TP there is no crit rate bonus for Raging Rush. Looking around for the relationship between DEX and crit rate, I place my overall crit rate at 12% on colibri, and behold, Raging Rush and King's Justice are pretty close in average damage. If this is indeed the case in practice, I probably won't bother unlocking King's Justice just for better Mighty Strikes/300 TP weapon skills. Skillchains? No one cares.
Recall that Raging Rush's first-hit damage used to vary with TP (1.00/1.50/2.50 at 100/200/300 TP, but .35 STR modifier as it is now), so you can get a sense of the magnitude of the increase in average R.R. damage since the exalted "2-hander update" just by looking at the graph (starting at 0% critical hit rate and ending at whatever crit rate you think is associated with R.R.).
Of course, mere averages don't give any idea of the distribution of possible WS damage values. I've seen a few comments that King's Justice is more consistent than Raging Rush, and that Raging Rush yields higher "spikes." You certainly don't need to do any frivolous simulation to lend credence to this perception. I'm not even going to say the shapes of these simulated distributions of WS damage for R.R. and K.J. are even accurate (after piling on approximation after approximation, I wouldn't think so), but they do give some idea of their variance. Even though the average WS damage is close, there is slightly less variance in WS damage associated with King's Justice. (The "sample" means for both R.R. and K.J. damage were within single digits of one another.)
Hello again,
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to give an update on my chocobo. After 75 days of raising, I finished my SS/B/B/B bird with capped STR and stats; additional Chocotrain STR are not processed as they would hurt my bird and raising other stats with Chocotraining would negatively affect the remaining stats. My bird prefers “Cloudy” weather, which is due to my frequent long walks into the Pashlow Marshlands, is patient since it had END as the top stat when it became a teenager, and has learned both Gallop and Canter.
Performance wise, this bird was able to win the “Lethal Race” to garner the Pullus Torque with little trouble. “Dream Race” was won the second attempt but I got really lucky as Sakura got stuck in the mud and hit with a fire biscuit from an NPC chocobo. My bird received no attacks in this win.
For the free races, my bird is able to defeat the supers only if they get hit by a fire biscuit tossed by an NPC or I supply my bird with a speed apple.
For the chocobo circuit, I’m just starting off now so I’m not sure about my bird’s performance. I’m on the Bastok Race Team and, on my server, this team is always last so I’m limited on what saddles I can use. With this limitation, I’ve been using selecting the “Rabbit Hide Saddle” since its suppose to boost the physical stats provided I have some REC. In checking the tote board, I see that this saddle drops my birds REC to C, STR is at SS and END at B. I’ll post more as I get more experience with the circuit.
Zubon
Thanks for the update. There are few things I want to touch on.
ReplyDeleteNow that you mention it, I've idly wondered whether personality and weather preference (other than for rain) have anything to do with chocobo racing (or anything else), but it's hard to test. As you noticed it's either clear skies or rainy in the Chocobo Circuit, so it would seem that a preference for cloudy weather wouldn't matter. (At least I've never seen any other kind of weather.)
As for personality, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a "random" factor in chocobo racing, but again it would be difficult to ascertain how exactly it works. (Does it affect starts, pacing, reacting to accidents, etc?)
Early on, my chocobo even alternated between patient and ill-tempered, but the ill-tempered won out in the end. Did you deliberately plan for a patient personality?
If you are interested about saddle properties, try checking out ff11wiki:
Wooden saddles
Lauan - END +4
Ash - END +8
Elm - END +14
Metal saddles
Brass - STR +16, END -14
Silver - STR +24, END -22
Mythril - STR +32, END -30
Cloth saddles
Grass - STR +8, END +4, DSC -16
Cotton - STR +16 (my guess), END +8 DSC -22
Linen - STR +24, END +12, DSC -36
Leather saddles
Rabbit - STR +6, END +6, RCP -14
Sheep - STR +12, END +12, RCP -22
Buffalo - STR +18, END +18, RCP -34
For the wooden saddles there is no quantifying of "stabilizing stride." I've felt that this meant reducing STR. If it does, that's fine with me, since if I pull ahead in a race I'll probably be pelted with biscuits and I'd rather not be.
If your bird is also 255/128/128/128 (SS/B/B/B), based on the above info, if you use a rabbit hide saddle your attributes should change to 261/134/128/114 (SS/A/B/C). But you say only your REC changed rank (from B to C).
Finally, I've racked up 26 1st, 19 2nd, 8 3rd, and 1 less than 3rd (I didn't get to observe this), for 26 wins in 54 attempts. So I'm still stuck at the 50% mark but I didn't do that well before the September update, in case the Sept. update changed things for the better.
My chocobo was patient from the start since I bred it from a Sports Plan which boosted its END at the start. Subsequent care consisted of 3 Vomp Carrots a day and Take a Walk care plans. Consequently, END remained on top until both STR and END were Impressive and I shifted my care plan to Exercise Alone on day 34 to boost STR to First Class.
ReplyDeleteLooking at the saddle data you’ve provided, I wonder if the STR cap is still in effect such that STR cannot rise above 255. When I was incrementally adding STR with Chocotrain sessions to reach the cap, it did seem that my bird was getting faster after each session so I suspect that the values do have a linear effect as opposed to the tiers SE favors (unless each Chocotrain session is enough to break a tier)
From data, I see that it takes around 6 to 7 Chocotrain sessions to raise a bird stat 1 level. This was determined by using Chocotrain sessions almost exclusively to raise my bird’s DIS from Poor to Substandard after it was bottomed out from extensive Carry Packages and Exercise Alone care plans. Assuming the max in a particular stat is 256 and there are 8 levels there are 32 points per level (Poor 0 points, Substandard 32 points, A Bit Deficient 64 points, Average 96 points, Better Than Average 128 points, Impressive 160 points, Outstanding 192 points, First Class 224 points, and First Class Capped 256 points) and each Chocotrain session provides around 4.6 points.
Since the Max Points a Chocobo may have is 640, spending 256 to cap STR leaves 128 points to for each of the three remaining stats which allows them to just reach 128. I assume that since I was able to get 256/128/128/128, by just capping STR, the diminished stat must have been subtracted from the stat which was highest. It just seems too improbable for my bird to have hit 256/128/128/128 otherwise.
Assuming my bird is 256/128/128/128, then it does make sense that the rabbit hide would have converted my bird from SS/B/B/B to SS/B/B/C as +6 END is well below the 32 I need to bring END from B to A. I’ll look into using the wooden saddles next as I try to bring my bird from the C4 races to C1.
Again, I can't really say because I would have to eyeball my chocobo's speed and I don't feel comfortable doing that, but it would make sense that saddles are able to add STR on top of the STR from training even at 255, because you are giving something up for that edge. Then again, it's the FFXI team handling this in all their impeccable logic.
ReplyDeleteAlso, your observation about the stat cap and subsequent training is exactly how it works.
I'd be interested to hear how your results turn out with different saddles. I'm all right with a 50% win rate in the long run, but if you can even get 55% in the long run (many many many many runs) that'd be great.