Suppose that "conventional wisdom" assumes that double attack can proc twice, at most, on a WS (I haven't seen any evidence to prove that DA can proc more than twice), but under this assumption there are two possibilities: (1) double attack must proc on only two hits of the WS (2 or more normal hits in the WS; this is usually thought of as occurring on the first two hits of the WS), and; (2) double attack may proc a maximum of two times on a WS. Which one is it?
There is a subtle difference between the two "hypotheses." If DA can proc on any hit in a multi-hit weapon skill, there are more opportunities for DA to proc twice (when the number of normal hits in the WS is greater than 2) than there would be if DA is limited to proc on specific hits in the WS. Intuitively, if the number of normal hits in the WS is greater than 2, there will be, on average, more WS hits under the second hypothesis even in the presence of a cap to exclude 3+ DA procs.
If you aren't convinced, the following probability exercise will help. Suppose I'm looking at a 3-hit WS (examples: Raging Rush, King's Justice, Blade: Jin, Tachi: Rana) and I want to know the probability of seeing n hits (n = 1, 2, ..., 5) in one WS, given my DA level. Assume 95% hit rate.
Since DA procs are independent of normal hits (in the sense that normal hits must occur in a WS even if they miss), it's simple to calculate these probabilities when DA must proc on only two hits in the WS. Here, the second DA proc is assumed to be independent of the first DA proc, and vice versa. For the other case, the DA procs are dependent, so the calculations are less simple, but they can be done.
When the DA rate is 10%, the probability distributions for both cases are illustrated as follows:

People are more likely to notice 5-hit results than other results, but in either case the probability of observing a 5-hit is pretty low. However, under "2 DA maximum" there are more opportunities for DA to proc (even if there is a 2-DA cap). The expected number of hits is 3.04 for "DA two hits only," and 3.13 for "2 DA maximum."
If you increase your DA rate, the expected number of hits for a WS should always increase (you will see relatively more 4- and 5-hit WSes), and this is the case going from 10% DA to 19% DA:

The expected number of hits is 3.211 for "DA two hits only," and 3.39 for "2 DA maximum." Given 19% DA, it is now fairly easy to distinguish between the two hypotheses, and collecting enough sample data on n-hits of a 3-hit WS should provide evidence in favor of one or the other.
If you can manage to push your DA rate even higher (through merits or elsewhere; I myself have 2 DA merits), the difference between the two hypotheses becomes more stark. Consider when DA is 22%:

The expected number of hits is 3.268 for "DA two hits only," and 3.47 for "2 DA maximum."
Which one do I believe to be the case? I don't have any stake in believing one over the other, but it was easier for me to assume that DA procs on two hits only (there are three ways this can happen for a 3-hit WS, but it doesn't matter in calculating the probabilities).
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteJust an update on my chocobo after a week of racing.
ReplyDeleteIn each race, I elected to use a Lauan Saddle, Speed Apple, and told the jockey to go for a Final Sprint.
For C4 Races: 3 First Place finishes, 1 Second Place Finish
For C3 Races: 2 First Place finishes
For C2 Races: 1 First Place finish.
I’ve been keeping an eye on the chocobo toteboard to see if there would be a way for me to accurately predict the winner. One obvious way would be to seed a race with 2 race worthy birds and 6 F/F/F/F birds but getting a group of people to work collectively in that way seems almost impossible. I also don’t know if such an event would shift the odds such that the payout for selecting the two race birds would become negligible.
Based just on observations, it seems that the odds are based only on the stat tiers. Hence, a chocobo with SS(capped)/B/B/B with (Gallop and Canter) and a chocobo with SS(uncapped)/B/B/B with (Bore and Burrow) will be given the same odds of winning.
It also seems that the odds do not consider what items the bird is using. Thus two birds with the same stats, one of which uses a Speed Apple (thus getting a huge advantage) and the other a “Gyshal Bomb” (minimal advantage) will be given the same odds of winning.
Weather only appears to affect the number of accidents that occur; in rainy weather, a chocobo can get stuck in the mud while during sunny, it cannot. Looking at NPC birds with the exact same stat, tier wise, weather preference does not seem to have any effect.
Also, the appearance of the chocobo does not seem to have any effect. Having a bird with large legs, long tail feathers, and a big beak seem to be cosmetic only.
Keeping track of PC birds that show up, birds with these stats are have all failed to place higher than fourth in C1 race I’ve only seen them race at most 3 times (primarily I’ve only seen them race once) so the data set is low.
SS/D/D/D, Gallop and Canter, Final Sprint, (item unknown)
A/S/C/B, Gallop and Regen, Sprint, (item unknown)
S/A/B/C, Canter and Regen, Keep Pace, Stamina Apple
SS/C/A/C, Gallop and Canter, Final Sprint, Speed Apple
A/A/C/C, Gallop and Canter, Keep Pace, Speed Apple
Birds which have placed third or higher
SS/A/C/C, Gallop and Canter, Keep Pace, Speed Apple
SS/S/C/C, Gallop and Canter, Final Sprint, Speed Apple
I’ve also been trying to develop a better understanding of why a SS/B/B/B bird is so effective to get a better idea of how to win at chocobetting or adapting my race strategy.
In the free races and official races, attacks are always directed to the lead bird and the lead bird is the one which will get in an accident. This means you probably want to select “Final Sprint” at all times to avoid this barrage and minimize the chance of getting in an accident. In the chocobo circuit however, attacks seem to be directed against random birds. Consequently “Keep Pace” or “Sprint” may be viable options.
In the free races, STR is important since that’s your birds speed. I’ve yet to see a bird win a C1 race without an SS rating in STR.
END is important to keep the speed up. Without enough END, your bird develops “Sweat Marks” fast and immediately slows down.
DIS is important since that’s pacing. Even if your bird has SS STR and SS END, leaving F in DIS will cause your bird to run too fast thus wearing it out or run too slow throughout the race. I think, but am not sure, that DIS affects how effective the items your bird uses are. Thus a bird with high DIS will get more of speed boost from “Speed Apple” and slow other birds more with a “Gyshal Bomb”.
With this in mind, it seems that the ideal bird may be SS(capped)/SS(capped)/B/F (i.e. 255/255/130/0). However, in the chocobo circuit, there are a ton of “Gyshal Bombs” that go off. No matter what you do, your bird is going to get hit by something. A bird getting stuck in the mud also seems to slow all the chocobos. This is where REC will come in.
REC is important since this is your resistance to accidents and attacks. With “F” in REC, you’re going to be completely crippled by getting stuck in the mud or hit with a “Fire Biscuit”. A bird with minimal REC will be complete neutralized when hit with a “Fire Biscuit” while a bird with high REC will just shrug it off (though the commentator may still say the bird is tiring).
Anyway, these are my observations. I’ll post again when I get more experience with the C2 and hopefully C1 races. It disappoints me that my bird is part of the “Bastok” racing team which is consistently last in the chocobo race standing so I have limited saddle choices. On my server, Windurst is always first by a large margin, SanDoria rising from time to time, and Bastok not a factor. Its somewhat interesting to me that Windurst is first and Bastok is last since Windurst is the most expansive start city while Bastok is the smallest. Perhaps there is some correlation.
I've opened up comments so that one may post anonymously. Whoever deleted the first comment, I am interested to hear what it was even if was some trife shit or Matt.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the observations. I don't have too much to add other than that free races average out to 3.5/race in Windurst as opposed to 3.25 in San d'Oria and Bastok if you never place ahead of the 'elite' chocobos. This may be the only reason chocobuck users favor Windurst and thus Windurst always trumps the other nations in the standings.
Also, did those PC chocobos compete against other chocobos? They would be more likely to place fourth (obviously if there are more than three PCs in a race).
Sorry, the deleted comment was just my own. I’m not familiar with Blogger and noticed a typo in my long post which I wanted to correct after hitting the publish button.
ReplyDeleteJust to reply, all the PC bird observations were of 1 PC bird versus 7 NPC. I’ve been tracking PC birds mainly to see if there was someone with a race worthy bird to team up to score gil via chocobetting and see if there were other sets of race stats which are also successful.
One problem I see with your plan is that two PC chocobos won't always finish 1-2. Just yesterday I managed to finish 3rd while the other PC chocobo finished 1st. I don't remember the 2nd-place chocobo's stats.
ReplyDeleteMoreover, the bets you make will reduce the "odds" to 1:1, so there will be little (if any) payout if both of you bet on your chocobos.
Still doing well in the Chocobo Circuit. I have now made it up to C2 races and came in 1st the three times I've been able to enter. Just need 2 more C2 race wins and I'll be able to start collecting trophies in the Crystal Stakes.
ReplyDeleteIn terms of chocobetting, I'm still trying to guess what bird will come in second. It seems that the odds severely underestimate the power of the "Speed Apple". While my bird continues to get 1st place, the 2nd place bird has consistently been one that pays out at least 1700G per quil and used a "Speed Apple".
I've also noticed that there seems to be NPC birds which are part of a town racing team which could be skewing the Chocobo Standings to a particular start town. On my server, I believe these NPC birds are
"LunarHarvester"-Windurst
"MegaFlare"-Bastok
"AileRoux"-SanDoria
Considering the rarity of people actually entering a chocobo race and the fact that I've noticed that "LunarHarverster" has entered multiple races in a 24 hour period, I'm beginning to suspect that the dominance of Windurst on my server may be due to this NPC bird.
I'll post more as I learn more.
Zubon
Those are "rival chocobos" and there is supposed to be one for each nation. Have you seen AileRoux more than once in 24 hours? I've never seen that before.
ReplyDeleteI've never noticed any San d'Oria-aligned rival chocobo. FF11wiki gives "SilverChariot" as the name of the mythical rival chocobo for Sandy but I've never seen it. (Incidentally, you can name your chocobo SilverChariot as opposed to MegaFlare or LunarHarvester.)