Friday, July 31, 2009

Comment potpourri

More comments on the relationship between INT and effective magic accuracy

Last week I got into this "debate" about magic accuracy (BG) regarding the results of casting Stone "a bunch of times" (massive understatement) on Qiqirn Poulterers. After inspecting lodeguy's elemental magic data back in December 2008, I speculated about a model for elemental magic to explain lodeguy's results, not expecting to find any other data to provide independent confirmation for this "model." But thanks to pchan, we now have even more data for which this model agrees (assuming I'm not being irredeemably biased in my perspective) along with some new insights that I describe rather turgidly in one of my posts there.

For example, it is known that the effects of additional magic accuracy, elemental staves, and elemental magic skill appear to be cut in half when "effective" magic accuracy or "hit rate" (the output that depends on the aforementioned inputs) is sitting below 50%. This latest data shows that the effect of INT appears also to be halved below 50% (for ΔINT ≤ 10).

Perhaps more relevant is the observation that, given this data, the effect of INT could be attenuated even further as ΔINT goes further and further beyond 10. That is, it could be (statistically) significantly less than +0.5% "hit rate" for every one-point increase in INT above ΔINT > 10. However, my naive analysis is based on statistical control and not experimental control of levels of INT, the latter of which seems preferable to minimize the influence of potentially confounding factors (as unlikely as they may seem).

Curry buns

Unless RMT are dumping inventory, I don't see why anyone would still craft Coeurl Subs instead of Yellow Curry Buns. From a crafter's standpoint, crafting Yellow Curry Buns will give a slightly better yield on the average because it's only a level 54 recipe ("tier 3" achieved at 105 cooking skill) and the most typical HQ result is 8 buns instead of 6.

But the real nail in the coffin, assuming that it's true, is that the buns retain the hidden bonus of the corresponding curries. Apparently, (hope I'm interpreting this Google translation correctly), the attack cap on Yellow Curry rises to 85 when eaten in the presence of four or more people in the same party as the consumer, among other attribute differences. Amazing that it's 2009 and players still don't know this. (Well, I never used yellow curry so I didn't know.) For Red Curry, the condition is apparently the same, but the attack bonus rises from 23% to 25% (still capped at 150). If the buns retain these hidden bonuses, why wouldn't there be higher demand for Yellow Curry Buns?

Note: the bonus from eating yellow curry (buns) while in a party does not wear off upon leaving the party. Using one while not in a party yields only 75 attack, and it probably does not increase upon joining a party of sufficient size.

No comments:

Post a Comment