In fact, in the past few months I have heard several English-speaking players allude to the graphs that seem to have originated from this player's blog, but no one ever called these players out on their assertions (they are not trivial ones), and I myself wasn't able to find these graphs until recently. (I just waded through Google results until I found his blog.)
Anyway, I don't feel like rehashing my recent posts about magic hit rate, which are more or less summarized in the previous post. I did get it twisted in the last post about how the game calculates magic hit rate after bonuses, but after considering all the analysis of the data in its entirety, I propose a simple equation to model magic hit rate, which is comprised of the following factors and discards completely the idea of a check against "base" magic hit rate (which was poorly defined by me and is a pretty awkward concept in hindsight) to determine magic hit rate bonuses:
A - magic accuracy score with contributions from magic skill, magic accuracy, staff bonus (elemental magic accuracy), and INT (and other factors)
E - magic evasion score with contributions from INT and elemental resistance (and other factors)
L - a penalty (or bonus) due to a level difference between caster and target.
Then, magic hit rate, represented by the greek letter π (as a probability), could be modeled as

where X = 0.5 if the quantity in parentheses is negative, and X = 1 if the quantity in parentheses is positive. Yes, you could say this model describes a "check" against that quantity in parentheses.
Also, π seems to have an upper bound of .95 (95%) (I do not feel like showing this at the moment) and the lower bound could be anywhere between 0 and .20 (20%) if we are drawing an analogy to melee hit rate. If I had to hazard a guess, I would place the lower bound at 5% for the sake of symmetry.
Such a relation would account for the observation that the bonuses from elemental staves, magic skill, and magic accuracy all seem to be halved below 50% hit rate. It would also account for my observation regarding the staff bonus, from an initial magic hit rate below 50% to a final magic hit rate above 50%. (This is where I got it twisted to begin with.)
A distinct factor to account for the specific contribution of INT, conditional on ΔINT, is also warranted given the data, but I would like to see more regarding INT bonuses below 50% hit rate.
There is also the possibility that, akin to melee accuracy and combat skill, the accuracy (hit rate) contribution from magic skill is 0.9% (instead of 1%) above 200 magic skill, so that pure magic accuracy may be more effective than magic skill (within certain ranges of magic skill), but showing that such a difference is statistically significant (assuming it exists) is difficult.
Another thought: for things that are resistant to magic of a particular element (or to a particular spell, like Slow), the "magic evasion" score could completely dwarf the "magic accuracy" score so that it's futile to pile on magic accuracy.
Again, this is just a working model, but it is one based on data, and not idle speculation. That's pretty much all I have for now, and I don't want to be even more pedantic and talk about the everyday implications of all of this if this model indeed holds, so I'll just leave it at that.
Hello,
ReplyDeleteSorry for the extended interval between posts. Lots of interesting things have been happening with regards to the chocobo circuit (bloody ninja updates) all of which have been detrimental to an SS/B/B/B bird.
It seems that the Chocobo Circuit has either become more popular or seeded with more rival birds. For example, I’ve seen a “AileRoux” with the stats SS/C/A/D Canter and Gallop from San Doria in the races despite scanning for PCs continuously during the 15 minute sign up window.
SE has also seeded a lot more NPC birds with SS STR, SS END, B DIS, F REC and using a Speed Apple in the C1 races. Though these birds are vulnerable to Gyshal Bombs and other attacks, the sheer number of them as well as the increased popularity of C1 racing means there is a good chance at least one will come away unscathed. Also, because of the increased number of NPCs and PCs using Speed Apples, this diminishes the number of attacks which do occur and furthers the advantage of shifting points in REC to other stats.
On a side note, I have also spotted NPC birds with the trait “Gallop” listed twice in 2 races. Not sure if this helps anything.
The stats of the PC birds which have beaten my SS/B/B/B bird Gallop and Canter bird are as follows.
(SanDoria); SS/A/C/D; Canter and Gallop; Final Spurt; Speed Apple
(Windurst); SS/B/B/B; Gallop and Canter; Final Spurt; Speed Apple
(SanDoria); SS/A/C/C; Gallop and Canter; Final Spurt; Speed Apple
(SanDoria); SS/B/B/C; Canter and Gallop; Final Spurt; Speed Apple
(Bastok); SS/S/A/F; Gallop and Canter; Final Spurt; Speed Apple
(Windurst); SS/C/A/B; Canter and Gallop; Final Spurt; Speed Apple
(SanDoria); SS/C/A/D; Canter and Gallop; Final Spurt; Speed Apple
(Windurst); SS/C/S/C; Bore and Finder; Final Spurt; Speed Apple
(SanDoria); SS/C/A/C; Gallop and Regen; Final Spurt; Speed Apple
Note that in almost all cases, REC was at C or D. I list the team which each bird was part of since on my server Windurst is ALWAYS 1st, SanDoria 2nd, and Bastok last. It irks me that since I’m a citizen of Bastok I must always use a weaker saddle. Though I suppose I could just join the Windurst team, the convenience of having the Outpost warper, AH, and chocobo stables all in close proximity to the Mog House in Bastok Mines and the difficulty in getting to Windurst just to gather chocobucks has stopped me so far.
The stats of the NPC birds which have beaten my SS/B/B/B bird Gallop and Canter bird are as follows.
(None); SS/SS/C/F; Gallop and Canter; Final Spurt; Speed Apple
(None); SS/SS/B/F; Random Abilities; Final Spurt; Speed Apple
Also, in almost all the losses which I was able to watch the race, my bird left the gate late as marked by a “!” from the start. This suggests that the late start if fairly devastating and is not easily countered by high REC.
Anyway, I hope that you are fairing better with the Chocobo Circuit. Right now, I am in the process of raising a new bird, this time with the stats SS/B/A/C Gallop and Canter. This may change as I gather more data about the circuit.
Zubon
Thanks for providing further insights.
ReplyDeleteI am just "resigned" to not having the opportunity to race uncontested. As you observe, the benefit of receptivity is diminished with multiple PC contestants (who never use negative items), which favors those chocobos with higher levels of END/DSC.
Yet sometimes I beat 2-3 other PCs so it's not all doom and gloom. So, I am not sure there were any undocumented changes to Chocobo Circuit recently (at least any that are really obvious).
I am tempted to start another chocobo on a mule but maintaining two chocobuck balances is a fairly unappealing prospect. Maybe I would let one chocobo do C2s and let the other do C1s. Let me know how your situation works out.
As a point of comparison, I have 17 wins in the last 38, overall 49/106 (49-38-15-4), and this is with facing PCs all the time.