Monday, September 15, 2008

Break weapon skills

(I should let it go, but there are a few things I've always wanted a decent explanation for...)

Studio Gobli has summarized the properties of the new job-specific weapon skills, and the traits of some of these WS are intriguing if only in a tangential "oh, that could be useful in some situation that will never come to pass."

1) King's Justice (WAR) has a primary skillchain attribute of Fragmentation (thunder/wind), giving the warrior the ability to participate in a Light skillchain using a two-handed weapon without having to obtain Ground Strike (great sword). (Its secondary SC attribute is Scission or earth.)

2) Vidohunir (BLM) lowers magic defense (as though you would ever melee) and the duration of this effect is presumably 60/120/180 seconds with 100/200/300 TP.

3) Blade: Kamu (NIN) lowers accuracy and the duration of this effect is 60/90/120 seconds with 100/200/300 TP. Ninja can now participate in a Light skillchain (Fragmentation attribute), as though you'd want to. I assume Blade: Kamu is earth element given the accuracy down effect.

There are a few other WS with "duration of effect varies with TP" (RDM, SMN), but I'd really like to know whether these effects are explicitly stated in the chat logs when they actually process (even better, whether they're resisted or not). If they actually are, then why not do the same for the great axe "break" weapon skills?

I always disliked the fact that you have no idea whether the "[attribute] down" effect actually kicked in immediately after using one of the break WS. In practice, you have to look at the chat logs to see if the effect eventually wears off ("The [monster's] [Attribute] Down effect wears off"), implying that the effect was actually applied by the WS, and if you don't see any message, you usually end up concluding one of the following: (1) the effect was still active when the mob died (if the effect is really there, shouldn't it be obvious, you say?); (2) the mob used an ability/spell to override the effect, or; (3) the effect was never there to begin with.

Why would you care? Well, for those of you that proselytize low-level WARs into using Shield Break exclusively, you might actually want to know:

(1) how long the evasion down effect should actually last
(2) whether it actually works reliably on exp mobs of interest

Regarding (1), Studio Gobli lists durations of 3/4/5 minutes with 100/200/300 TP for all the break weapon skills, and this seems to have been generally accepted as true, if hardly widely known. Yet I just had to convince myself that this was true, and after messing around in Lufaise Meadows for a bit, I was surprised to find that, on the neighborhood mobs at least, the effect duration is more along the line of 90/180/270 seconds with 100/200/300 TP, as summarized by the following graph:



I had no evidence of partial resists (just an all or nothing effect); this was all the data I got from break weapon skills where the effect was applied.

Most of the Shield Break results were from bees, which are supposedly weak to ice. The one Weapon Break was used on an orc, which is supposedly weak to water, and the Armor Break was used on a bugard, which isn't known to be weak to wind.

As for (2), one way to convince yourself that Shield Break should work, without waiting for a "wearing off" message that you may or may not see, is to target mobs that are known to be weak to ice. This is merely a rule of thumb, as Shield Break might work on mobs that aren't weak to ice (such as Goblins) because resists should come into play, and it's possible Shield Break won't work on mobs whose crystal drop actually contradicts a "known" ice weakness. Bugards, which drop fire crystals yet are putatively weak to ice, are one example (though admittedly not an exp target).

I myself was more interested in whether I could ever see a full complement of debuffs from Full Break on mobs that aren't weak to earth, to no avail:

Makara
113% TP
101 seconds
accuracy and evasion ONLY

Makara
114% TP
103 seconds
evasion ONLY

Gigantobugard
138% TP
nothing in 8 minutes!

Death Jacket
167% TP
150 seconds
accuracy, attack, and evasion (no defense)

Death Jacket
123% TP
111 seconds
accuracy and evasion ONLY

Gigas Warwolf
185% TP
nothing in 3 minutes!

Gigas Martialist
112% TP
100 seconds
evasion ONLY

Orcish Bowshooter
171% TP
154 seconds
attack and evasion ONLY

Note that earlier I said the above results applied only to the mobs in Lufaise Meadows... to my chagrin, I later obtained the following preliminary results from Bull Dhalmels in Buburimu Peninsula:

Bull Dhalmel
128% Full Break
230 seconds
evasion and defense ONLY

Bull Dhalmel
300% Full Break
360 seconds
evasion and defense ONLY

Bull Dhalmel
150% Full Break
135 seconds (Windsday)
attack and defense ONLY

Bull Dhalmel
107% Full Break
96 seconds (Windsday)
full debuff!

From this data alone, I could conclude that the duration of the debuffs from Full Break is up to 6 minutes at 300% TP. The other data, hmm...

So, what gives?

Did Studio Gobli used to be right? The evidence doesn't support 3/4/5 minutes at the moment.

Are there actually partial resists? Perhaps a partial resist reduces effect duration by 90 seconds flat regardless of TP level. The dhalmel data suggest an unresisted duration of 180/270/360 seconds with 100/200/300 TP. I propose a "partially resisted" duration of 90/180/270 seconds with 100/200/300 TP, which would match up with the results from Lufaise Meadows. But if those are really "resisted" durations, why didn't I ever see unresisted durations ever in Lufaise Meadows?

What other factors am I not considering (day of the week)? No, I didn't use a Martial Bhuj.

No comments:

Post a Comment