Even taking into account the previous tirade about chocobo training tokens, I still consider chocobo raising one of the few long-run activities in FFXI from which I have actually extracted something akin to pleasure. Why babysit a needy, spoiled, infantile linkshell member when you can dote over something similarly needy, spoiled, and infantile, but that you can abandon at your whim? So with an eye toward placing in the Crystal Stakes, I again take up the cause.
By the 60-day mark of my new chocobo's life, I aim for my chocobo to have the following attribute ratings, based on the idea that "balanced" chocobos with first-rate strength fare well in Chocobo Circuit and actually have a puncher's chance at overcoming the new cheap-ass Official Races (Pashhow Circuit):
STR - First-class
END - Better than average
DSC - Better than average
RCP - Better than average
While I proceed to spoil my new hatchling, I put my old, worn chocobo through the ringer, using it to accumulate chocobucks that will be invested instead in its pampered successor. And as a bonus, this old pro is actually earning Solo Victory Points for me in the Chocobo Circuit (29 at last count), only for the young buck to take its place eventually and seize the glory of placing in the Crystal Stakes, after which I'll toss the geezer's VCS registration card. (At least I hope that's how it pans out, as I'll be annoyed if SVPs are reset when registering a new race chocobo altogether.)
Of course, there has to be some nettlesome feature about Chocobo Circuit that's a result of some dubious design choice, and for me it's the fact that one cannot sign up for a C1 race every hour, any hour.
Instead, the schedule of races is such that one can sign up for C1 races every day only during six sign-up periods (times in JST):
5:45-6:00
6:45-7:00
13:45-14:00
14:45-15:00
21:45-22:00
22:45-23:00
It's already irritating enough that one can sign up for a race only every 24 hrs. (Even though you sign up at any time within the 15-minute sign-up period, the race starts at a fixed time 35-40 minutes after the end of the sign-up period.) It's even more annoying that if you wish to hew closely to the ideal situation of racing every 24 hrs, you are stuck with these limited registration times, which can be quite inconvenient depending on your time zone and schedule.
A conceptually simple remedy would be to scrap sign-up periods altogether, and limit signing up your chocobo in a 24-hour period such that one can register for the next upcoming C1 race (or any other race you wish to enter for that matter), no matter when it occurs, any time after midnight JST. So simple and convenient for the players that this will never be implemented.
No comments:
Post a Comment